I'm sure we have all seen the the infamous "Rainbow Cake" on Pinterest. It is a lovely cake. This is not that cake. Nope, nope, nope. This is the lazy-ass person's version of that cake—and I use the word version
very lightly.
First of all, the local Wal-Mart was out of regular food coloring and, because I was buying ingredients at the last minute, there was no time to shop around town for food coloring. So I bought the only thing available there—the neon colors.
 |
| Yellow boxed cake dyed with neon food coloring. I was still feeling like I just might end up with a cute little cake. |
Then, I decided that I didn't want to make a homemade cake after all, especially when the boxed ones are so cheap and convenient. And, of course, why make homemade frosting if one is going to make a boxed cake, so canned frosting made its way into the cart as well. And why buy white frosting, sported by the inspiration cake, when all the brats and the Comrade prefer and love chocolate?
 |
| Here's what it looked like after I stacked them. At this point, I was becoming disappointed with my rainbow cake-making decisions. The colors weren't as vibrant as I had hoped, and the chocolate frosting was not helping. |
 |
| Here it is stacked, iced, and decorated with M&Ms. It looks like a regular chocolate cake. |
 |
| The layers are droopy. I realized here that I definitely should have cut off the tops of each layer so they would lay straighter. Live and learn. |
 |
| It almost looks cute from this angle, but I was still disappointed the colors weren't more vibrant. |
And, after all that, the cake tasted like crap. The Comrade was the only one who liked it. :(
Despite the nasty, disappointing cake, Eliza was happy with getting sung to, blowing out the candles, and opening her gifts. I ♥ toddlers!
No comments:
Post a Comment